Ancient Egypt Study Unit
Discovering Ancient Egypt
“I believe that to teach them effectively you must touch their hearts long before you begin to teach their minds” ~ Vicki Savini, from Ignite The Light
We had so much fun with our Ancient Egypt Study Unit, we want to share it with you.
This post contains affiliate links. Please visit our disclosure page for more information.
Children are fascinated with Ancient Egypt. To take advantage of their natural curiosity we decided to read The Pharaoh’s Secret by Marissa Moss with our 'tween book club and explore Ancient Egypt. As we lost ourselves in the pages, discovering an ancient world, we created an Ancient Egypt study unit for children in elementary and middle school that is chock full of engaging activities.
Ancient Egypt Study Unit Activities
Sports were important to the Ancient Egyptians
- Have the kids research what sports were popular in Ancient Egypt.
- Have a “sports day”, Ancient Egyptians played tug of war and pass the hoop among other sports.
The Rich Symbolism of Ancient Egypt
- Explore the symbolism of different animals that are featured in the ancient Egyptian culture.
- Have the students figure out what their names would be in Hieroglyphics.
- Here is what our name looks like in Hieroglyphics:
Research Ancient Egyptian food
- Make one of the recipes.
We made Basbousa. It’s a semolina cake drenched in syrup. Try it, it’s really yummy!
Play Ancient Egyptian Board games
Read books about Ancient Egypt:
- Active History: Discovering Ancient Egypt
- You Are There! Ancient Egypt 1336 BC
- Ancient Egypt: Tales of Gods and Pharaohs
- Pharoah's Secret
Ancient Egypt Craft projects
- Make an amulet out of model magic.
- Make a Pharaoh’s Headdress.
- Craft an easy ancient Egyptian collar or necklace out of a paper plate.
- Make or design a pyramid
Make a pop-up book about Ancient Egypt
- We have The Pop-Up Book: Step-by-Step Instructions for Creating Over 100 Original Paper Projects but you can also find online instructions for different pop-up techniques.
Explore the weather in Egypt
- Decide whether you want to report the weather as it is today in Egypt and perhaps contrast it with the weather where you live or if you want to do a fictional weather report about how the weather may have been for the ancient Egyptians.
Writing topic ideas for exploring Ancient Egypt
- Research Egypt and make a brochure of the historical sites in Egypt.
- Research the climate and do a weather report.
- Write a story where the main character lives in Ancient Egypt.
- Research and compare two of the pharaohs.
- Write a newspaper article about any pharaoh.